Hiring for a deck project can be daunting. These steps will guide you though the process and ensure you choose a top deck builder. It’s not every day that you decide to build or renovate a deck, but when you do, you want to make a good choice.
Choosing the right builder is key to ensuring that your deck is not only built to last, but is also aesthetically pleasing and blends in with the overall look and feel of your home. Quality contractors will have years of experience in the industry, be able to answer all of your questions, and provide a quality product that is built to last. They should also be able to provide you with a detailed plan for your deck, so you can be sure that the end result meets your expectations. With the right deck builder, you can be sure that your project will be completed on time, within budget, and with the highest level of craftsmanship.
1. Get Recommendations
If you’re looking for the highest quality deck building services, the best way to find a trusted contractor is to do some research. You can look for one who is a member of a reputable organization, ask your own personal network of contacts or search the internet for tips.
- Look for a contractor who is a member of The Greater Vancouver Home Builder’s Association or the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask trusted friends and relatives for referrals.
- Check review sites such as Homestars and Houzz.
- Review more general sites such as Yelp and Google.
- Ask your local hardware store to recommend contractors.
Finding the right contractor for your deck building project should be an informed decision to get the best results.
2. Research Your Potential Deck Builder
To ensure the best outcome when selecting a contractor, it is important to do your research and know exactly what to look for. Before you start your search, you should have a clear idea of the scope of the project and make sure to have a budget in mind. Once you have narrowed down your list of potential contractors:
- Have a clear idea of the scope of the project and budget in mind before you start your search.
- Check out the contractor’s website and social media for professionalism.
- Call the contractor and ask about business licenses, need for building permits, insurance, warranty, and availability.
- Ensure the contractor offers a warranty and has a wait in spring/summer, if not year–round. (good contractors are usually busy)
Asking these questions early on can help you weed out the good from the bad and save time in your search.
3. Collect Quotes from Multiple Contractors
When you have evaluated your top deck builder options and narrowed it down to three or four companies, talk numbers.
- Get an accurate and final quote from the contractor when considering a deck or any other outdoor structure.
- Meet with the contractor face to face to get the details they need and get their quote in writing.
- Your quote should include all materials, methods, timelines, and payment schedules.
- Compare quotes between contractors, looking beyond the numbers.
- Consider the quality of the materials, methods, and timelines offered by the contractor.
- Also consider the payment schedule proposed by the contractor.
- Take your time to compare the estimates and make sure you are getting the best value for your money.
4. Get Signatures
Before finalizing a decision, ensure that all terms are in writing including costs, materials, designs, timelines and payment schedules. Also confirm any responsibilities that you have i.e. access considerations and building permits.
- A contract is legally binding and so it’s much better to have seemingly unnecessary detail than to try to decipher vague details if a problem arises. A reputable contractor will understand that this protects both parties.
- Review this written document together and finalize the agreement with your signatures.
Hiring a contractor can be intimidating, but we’re here to help. To get a free quote from our reputable team, call 604-786-3325 or fill out this form.